Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Shadow of the Wind


When we first met in 2005, I eyed it curiously, feeling within me the deep certainty that our time would come in the future to meet again. It waited for me patiently. Five years later, this book mysteriously found its way to me…and I could not escape before it casted its magic on me and abducted me to another century and another country until I could not think of anything else. I did not merely read the book, it felt more like it read me!

The author Carlos Ruiz Zafón (born in Barcelona 1964) studied journalism and later worked as an advertiser, before he turned into a full-time writer. Finally he moved to L.A. and became a successful scriptwriter for the film industry. It explains the monumental setting of his scenes, the film-like atmosphere and the important details he describes which add to the feeling that you are living with his characters. Already famous for his books for youths, he now became highly acknowledged also as a successful writer for adults. "La Sombra del Viento" (which is the original title) is the first book aiming at an older audience. The publishing company advertised it only little, so it got famous only by word from mouth to mouth. This is Carlos Ruiz Zafón:

To the question when he started writing, Zafón answered (Source: Interview on Amazon): “Since I received money for something I have written. Back then I was 8 years old and thought that I would be famous by the age of 13. I founded a publishing company with some friends at school. One of them took care of the layout, another one made the copies and I wrote. It was horror stories with aliens and vampires. With the earned money we bought candy. Since then I did not stop writing…”.

So what is the book "The Shadow of the Wind" all about?

The story begins to evolve around Daniel (in the beginning 10 years), who is taken by his father to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books in Barcelona during Francos dictatorship. He finds a lost book from the Spanish author Julián Carax. Soon several people are desperately trying to get this edition from Daniel at any cost and before he realises, his life is entwined with the book's plot and its characters inextricably. Little does he know that soon he has to defend the book with his life, trying to solve the mystery of its author and desperate to save those who have been sought with him into the story and its deadly secrets.


A tale full of love, mystery, crime and history, as well as characters you will grow to love and a delicate sense for humour will keep you enchanted during your travel along the pages!

Such a well-written story with suspense and twists and turns in its subtly enfolded plot which never gives you the time to take a breath, has not crossed my way often throughout my life!
I felt paralysing fear, I laughed heartily and I cried bitterly several times… The story would not leave my mind for days and when I finally came to my senses on the last page I hat forgotten who I am and where I was. I had never something like a favourite author - now I have!


A must read for everyone who enjoys to wander the wide worlds of written dreams. A masterpiece!


PS: More about good books on my friend Diane’s book blog (in German).

PPS: Zafón’s latest book (published in March’10) is called “The Angel's Game"/"Das Spiel des Engels”.

More pictures of the old Barcelona on the official page of the book: here!

No comments:

Post a Comment