Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Thunder Storm Adventure

Yesterday suddenly the sky darkened and a thunder storm approached the city from the North. I was already in my bathsuit and decided to jump into the sea for a short swim. The waves became higher and it started to rain. I could hear the thunder in the distance... still I was to eager to find out how the under water life is reacting to it. It turned out that they seemed fairly unaffected. I dived down to look below one of the coral ledges and totally freaked out: !!! Quietly in the shadow sat a yellow ribbontail ray with blue dots! It eyed me curiously, not sure if I am a danger or about to be ignored. He appearently felt save and I was able to dive down several times to watch him closer! Later I found out that his tail spines are venomous. Lucky for me that I did not get too close! What an event, my first wild stingray and such a beautiful one!

The Bluespotted ribbontail ray (Taeniura lymma). Source.

Black Lionfish (family Scorpaenidae). Source.

I was already sure that the stingray would be the highlight of this snorkel trip, when I suddenly detected a black lionfish! You remember the first ones I saw here? Usually they are brightly red coloured, actually I did not know that black speciman do even exist until then! What a surprise. I watched him, how he checked out a black long-spined urchin patiently and realized after a while, that the rain increased and I got seriously cold. I managed to run out of the water before the first few lightnings occurred over the now grey sea surface. By now, I was really shivering hard and escaped from the natural forces to a warm shower! What an adventure!

Blue Christmas-tree worm (Spirobranchus giganteus). Source.

A few days ago, I was lucky to catch a glimpse of a rare Christmas tree worm! Such beautiful creatures! It was the first time I saw one for real, well hidden in a massive coral. And also a small 'colony' of red sponge. I was not aware of this species so far. Doesn't it look incredible?

Red sponge (Cliona sp.). Source.

Do you agree that the most colourful creatures can be found under water? It's so inspiring! I am looking forward to explore the reef much more! What else will I find?
Love,


Edit: I consulted my reef guide and found out that the black lionfish can be considered as the juvenile stadium of the (later red) lionfish. Interesting, I had no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment