Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I'll give you 1000 Camels for this Girl

Beautiful lanterns at a traditional restaurant.

Kitchen under the open sky. (Me, looking like a tourist!!)

One of the many flowers at my work's garden.

You see the man in the second photo? I went to his restaurant with my friend D. and after a brief introduction, he asked her to sell me to him. He offered 1000 camels and promised that I would live in a villa and have a Volvo. What a strange idea! Sometimes I nearly forget that I am in the Middle East and such thing is not as unusual than it is in Europe. Lucky me, D. refused and took me home again. The food was - by the way- delicious!

A similar situation happened two days ago, when I was walking through the city with a male work colleague. A man stopped us, pointed at me and asked him with a serious voice: "Is this your wife? No? - Okay, then how much do you want for her?".... I was terrified and hoped that my colleague would set him right instantly. But No: They actually started to negotiate about my price, until I became mad and walked away alone...

Seriously, I have no idea what's up here with the guys. Do I look like some kind of souvenir?? Anyways, I should feel honoured (at least a bit) by the first offer. The girls told me that 1000 camels is a very high price for a girl. (As if that would set my mind at peace!). Today is the Independence Day in Israel, so we are not working. Later there will be a big barbecue from work at the beach and me and the girls will join them!
Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment